Sunday, February 12, 2012

One of These Things is Not Like the Other: Painting Striped Walls

A few months ago I decided to paint my bathroom.  The walls were a light khaki, the counter tops black granite, the tub white, the tile floors light khaki, and the vanity stained wood.  I just didn’t think it all went together.  So I decided that painting khaki and white stripes on the walls would be just the thing to pull it all together. 

Now there are tons of tutorials on the internet about painting striped walls.  Two of my favorites are here at Young House Love and Four Men + One Lady. 

Young House Love Striped Bathroom
Four Men + One Lady Stripes


These guys make it look easy but I generally found that to be the case too.  It’s a bit tedious to measure and tape, but once you’ve done that, it’s pretty simple from there.   You just have to be sure that you pull the tape off before the paint completely dries to maintain a sharp line.
I was pretty pleased with my results:





For the first few weeks while getting ready I’d occasionally look at those stripes and pat myself on the back.





( I stand about this close to the wall every morning while getting ready.    Look at that crisp line!)    















But then I saw it. 
Yes, one of these things is not like the other. 
Can you spot the difference? 



I don’t know why it took me so long to see it! The third stripe (from the top) is obviously two inches too small and the 2nd stripe is obviously two inches too large. 

BF says it’s not very noticeable.  
I disagree. 
Every morning that little stripe mocks me.  Oh you think you’re soo good with your fancy stripe painting, hah! You can’t measure!  You can’t measure.   
Of course it’s been mocking me for about six months now.   I’m kind of getting used to it.  It adds character right? 


1 comment: